Store Bought Cake Into Cake Pops

Learn How to Make Cake Pops with a simple store-bought cake mix and a few tools! This step by step recipe is easy for any novice cook.

Have you ever wondered how to make cake pops? It's easier than you think and they can be made for oh so many occasions from birthdays to baby showers, Easter and more. Even better cake pops are easy for everyone to take one, have a bite and with less mess. No plates required if you want to skip the dishes.

How

We're going to share step by step instructions on how to make cake pops with a cake mix. It may seem like a lot of steps but it's actually quite easy. So let's get on to how to make cake pops shall we?

Easy Homemade Cake Pops Recipe

I know it looks like a lot of steps to make the cake pops but once you have everything ready to go it's quite easy. Most of the time is just mixing, melting and waiting for things to be ready. Totally worth it and dipping the cake pops can be something you do with the kiddos. I know they will definitely enjoy eating them!

Another reason (of many) that we love cake pops are how you can do different colored candy melts if you wanted to all in the same batch. Or you can keep it easy and have them all coated in the same colored candy melts and even decorate them a bit differently. You can leave them plain or ad sprinkles, icing, the options are endless when it comes to these fun cake pops. 

Couldn't you just envision serving these at a birthday party or even a baby or bridal shower? Cute, tasty and less messy to eat than a slice a cake. These cake pops are popular at any gathering. You can decorate them or the plate they're served on to suit the occasion. 

Simple Cake Pops Recipe

I know Easter is coming up very soon and these would be fun for an Easter gathering. We just love the taste of cake pops and will vary between the flavors of the cakes too!

I’m Michelle aka Powered by Mom. I’m married with one daughter, my hubby was my high school sweetheart, our two dogs Nyx and Cleo and our cat Oliver. As you can see we’re a family of animal lovers. We love to travel when we can, try different food and activities all over the world and enjoy being together. My passions are writing, travelling, creating new recipes, encouraging people to adopt not shop and just to enjoy life while we can. More posts by this author.

Pumpkin Coffee Cake With Cream Cheese Icing Drizzle Story Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Cookies Story Pumpkin Caramel Poke Cake Story Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich Recipe Story Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe StoryI have to admit, I had never made cake pops before but I was determined to make them for our gender reveal party. I’ve made Oreo truffles multiple times, which are somewhat similar to cake pops. Somewhat. They’re essentially the cookie version of cake pops. Basically dessert cousins. I figured, how hard could it be?

Vanilla 'box' Cake Pops Recipe By Tasty

Now, I know mine aren’t 100% true cake pops– they’re basically cake balls with sticks in them, but people can still carry them around like cake pops. I mean, who wants messy hands? Anyway, I’ll tell you at the end of the post how to make them into legit cake pops with the cake portion at the top and the stick coming out the bottom.

Prepare a boxed cake mix as directed on the box. Let the cake cool completely. Wash your hands. Next, crumble the cake into fine crumbs with your hands in a large bowl. Mix in about 1/3 cup of icing (I used store bought milk chocolate) with your hands. The mixture should be dense but not gooey. Gooey cake balls gross me out. Grab a cookie scoop (I used my 1.5 T scoop, which I LOVE). (Remember, everyone needs a cookie scoop, or 3.) Then, scoop out the mixture, packing the cake mixture into the scoop as you scoop it (I smushed the open side of the cookie scoop against the inside of the bowl). Smush the mixture in your hand to pack it tightly into a ball. Roll it into a nicely shaped ball. Roll the remaining mixture into balls (my cake mix made 18 balls).

Grab your Candy Melts (I purchased mine from JoAnn Fabric) and a small microwaveable dish (I used a small oatmeal bowl). Put about 5 morsels into the bowl and melt them in the microwave. Next, grab your cake pop sticks (I purchased mine from JoAnn Fabric). Dip your stick into the melted Candy Melt and quickly stick it into a cake pop at least half way down. Repeat with remaining cake pops. Then, set pops on a cookie tray. Freeze for about 15 minutes (they wouldn’t fit in my freezer so I put them in the fridge for 30 minutes– worked fine). Put your Candy Melts into a microwaveable mug (I filled mine to the top). Next, melt the Candy Melts as directed on the package. Dip the cake pop into the mug, evenly coating it. Let the coating drip off. Place the pop on cookie sheet. Finally, if using sprinkles, add immediately before coating sets. Repeat for remaining pops.

How To Make 4 Ingredient Cake Pops

These may seem like a lot a work, but trust me, once you have it all mapped out it’s a breeze. I spent maybe an hour on these (not including baking and cooling times).

If you want your cake pops to be true cake pops, rather than cake balls with sticks in them, instead of putting them on a cookie sheet to dry, insert the stick into Styrofoam for the coating to set. I wanted mine to sit on the platter but still be pops, so that’s why I went the route I did.

Ingredient

FYI, the Candy Melt coating is really good. I used chocolate cake and you barely tell there’s dark cake underneath the coating. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Ingredient Funfetti Cake Pops (using A Box Of Cake Mix)

Note: Candy Melts come in a wide array of colors. But if you don’t spot a color you need, you can use gel food coloring. Do not use food coloring drops.

Step by step instructions on how to make cake pops! Learn some tricks on how to accomplish delicious and eye-catching cake pops!Easy 3 ingredient funfetti cake pops using a box of cake mix and covered in a sweet white chocolate coating. Cake pops are exactly what they sound like – a cross between a cake batter and a lollipop!

Contrary to popular belief, cake pops are actually incredibly easy to make! What initially got me hooked on these little lollipop cakes, was Starbucks.

Leftover Cake Cake Balls

Starbucks Cake Pops can easily be recreated at home, with only 3 ingredients. The secret is making cake pops with regular cake mix.

If you love Starbucks like me, but don’t love the price tag, you need to try my Starbucks Spinach Feta Wraps and my Starbucks Bacon And Gruyere Egg Bites.

-

I remember the first time I made these I was so nervous. I went on a hunt for a cookie scoop, icing sugar, flour, butter, vanilla extract, baking powder, and chocolate chips all at different grocery stores.

Cake Pop Kit

The next time I made them I saved myself a lot of time by buying a boxed cake mix. This is a great way to make your life more simple, and I will never go back to my first attempt method.

The inside of the cakes pops is a combination of cake mixed with frosting, which gives it the gooey soft texture. The cake pop frosting is simply melted chocolate wafers. Add sprinkles if you wish, and you’ve got yourself the best cake pop recipe!

I’m going to show you two ways on how to make cake pops. Or as some may like to call it, lollipop cakes.

Starbucks Cake Pop Recipe (easy Homemade Copycat)

The first is by using a standard cake mix or leftover cake and mixing it in with enough frosting. Then chilling the dough to make cold cake balls, and sticking them into cake pop sticks or popsicle sticks.

Once you have your cake pop ball, you then dip it into melted candy. You will get rid of excess chocolate and allow it to solidify before eating.

Cake

The other way to make them is by using cake pop molds. This is where you would add the cake pop batter to a round pan and it would form the cake into donut holes.

How To Make Cake Pops The Easy Way

Beat cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in a bowl. Pour the batter into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish or two 8×8-inch round cake dishes and bake in a 350 degree F oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Let the cake cool completely, then crumble it with a fork in a large bowl or in the baking dish. Stir the frosting into the crumbled cake, cover, and freeze until chilled.

It’s easier to roll the cake & frosting mixture into perfectly round balls if it’s cold. The cake & frosting mixture is super moist, and at room

Starbucks Cake Pops Recipe