Cake Pops Without Frosting

I am not an expert on cake balls. Some people are really really good at making them.  I’m not even talking about the cutesy, snazzy people who can make their cake balls/pops look like freakin Hello Kitty or a unicorn head.  No, those people are sculptors. I’ve come to grips with the reality that I simply do not have the skill, time or patience for that. But they

Mine always come out looking more like mini deformed potatoes.  I basically quit trying to make cake balls because not only was I making pathetic looking ones, but they were so sweet that I would make the sour pucker face when I ate one.  What’s the point of all this work if I wasn’t willing to blow the summer slim down diet for a few?! Yes, they’re adorable, they are usually too sweet and don’t taste very good.  I am all for presentation, but taste is first and foremost.

-

Don’t get me wrong, I looooove me some sweets (I mean look at my recipe page, it’s a wonder I don’t give myself diabetes).  Most cake balls use a crumbled cake and frosting as the binding agent (the thing that holds the crumbs together), then dunked in white chocolate which I hate because it’s too thick and too sweet even on its own.  I make no-bake oreo “cake pops” that I love (get recipe here) because they don’t taste like a pound of sugar cubes… but they aren’t actually made with cake, so they don’t technically count as “cake” balls.

Vanilla Cake Pops From Scratch

Then I took a cake class at Momofuku’s Milk Bar in NYC (read about that adventure here and here).  The head pastry chef Christina Tosi doesn’t refer to their cake balls as cake balls.  Nope, the tiny confections appear under the alias of “cake truffles” on the Milk Bar menu.  Let’s face it, truffles sound better than balls 😛 Keep it classy, let’s  say truffles instead.

Truffles.  The bakery uses a soak made with milk and vanilla instead.  Also, instead of a thick white chocolate shell, they used a very thin coat of white chocolate, then rolled it in another ingredient.  Double win.  After the class, we took home a cake and about 5 cake

Truffles and sure enough I tweeted that I ate them for breakfast the next day.  They were the best bar none.  They weren’t the most adorable things I’ve ever seen, but as far as taste goes, Milk Bar was King.

Chocolate Cake Pops — Salt & Baker

At the class Tosi said that they ONLY use cake scraps and never make the truffles just to make the truffles.  It seemed kind of frowned upon to bake a cake just to crumble it up.  Well, being the wild woman I am, I did just that.  And brought them to a family picnic.  Not one was leftover.  I also used a *gasp* boxed cake mix because I procrastinate like it’s my job plus I’m lazy.

Start with a 1/4 sheet cake baked and cooled. (1/4 sheet cake is fancy bakery talk for 9″x 13″).  So obviously I chose funfetti because sprinkles make everything better.

Add in your soak a little at a time.  You don’t want it drippy!  Add just enough moisture so that it holds its shape when you try to make a ball.  Then roll them up!

How To Make Cake Pops

If you are OCD and need them to be all the same size, then use a small cookie scoop or melon baller.

Truffles   2. chocolate  3. dry cake mix  4. serving dish).  Working somewhat quickly is a good idea when working with melted chocolate. I use disposable bowls because it makes clean up a breeze.

Truffle into chocolate.  You want a thin coat.  This way is messy, but whatever, it was the way they taught me in the cake class.  And it’s fun.  You can dunk them however you want, but I despise too sweet white chocolate, so I did this:

Copycat Starbucks Cake Pops Recipe » Recipefairy.com

Roll into the dry cake mix and then place on a dish to set.  Refrigerate for about an hour and then faceplant.

Whisk together milk & vanilla then add it slowly to the cake crumbs until you can roll into a bite size ball without it falling apart.Cake pops are bite-sized desserts traditionally made by mixing home made cake crumbs with buttercream, cream cheese frosting or even chocolate(I tend to use buttercream). The cake mix is then shaped into balls, and are coated by dipping them in melted chocolate or candy coating. They are typically served on a stick, similar to a lollipop. This makes them a fun and convenient treat for parties and special occasions.

Cake pops were popularized by baker and author Bakerella back in 2008, and have since become avery popular in many countries around the world. They can be made in a wide variety of flavours and decorated in so many different ways, making them a versatile and customizable dessert option or party treat.

Best Coffee Icing Without Icing Sugar Recipes

There are a few reasons why you might want to make cake pops without buttercream or vanilla frosting, here are a few.

How

Sweetness- Some people don’t like the sweetness of cake pops, given they usually have cake, buttercream, and chocolate or candy coating making them very sweet. So removing the buttercream means they are less sweet.

Dietary requirements – This could be another reason, people have various allergies that can be matched in the cake and/ or the coating but buttercream could be a stumbling block. By skipping the buttercream, you can make a cake pop that is safe for more people to eat.

Easy Eggless Homemade Cake Pops

Convenience- making cake pops can by quite timely and adding in the extra faff of making buttercream can ease the time it takes to make. Especially if you follow the instructions below, you will see how much quicker this is.

Yes absolutely, you can freeze cake pops! This is a great way to make them in advance and save time when preparing for a party or event. Especially if there are a lot of cake pops to be made. I generally freeze cake pops after they have been shaped and before they have been dipped in chocolate or candy.

To thaw frozen cake pops, simply remove them from the freezer and allow them to come to room temperature before decorating. Once they are thawed you can then dip them into chocolate or candy and decorate them. Frozen cake pops will typically last for up to two months in the freezer.

How To Make The Best Beautiful And Easy Cake Pops

This is generally down to a big difference in the temperature of the cake ball and the coating, so one being very cold and the other quite hot. To avoid this make sure that you are not dipping the cake pops straight out of the fridge and allow them to come to closer to room temperature.

When I make my cake pops, I dip the stick into chocolate and then put it into the cake ball and leave this to set in the fridge. This should help your cake pop stay on the stick when you dip the full cake pop ball later on

-

I have experienced this in the past and this will be down to the cake mix and depend on what type of sponge you use for the cake crumbs.

How To Make Cake Pops Dough With And Without Icing

I use my vanilla cupcake recipe when making cake pops as it is less greasy so this takes away some of the grease/ oil in the cake mix.

The obvious way to change the flavour would be to change the cake flavour. Using chocolate cake or red velvet cake for example.

You can also change the flavour of the buttercream. However, as we are making cake pops without buttercream in this tutorial then you wouldn’t be able to do it that way.

No Bake Oreo Cake Pops

Chocolate or candy melts to coat- I like to use Belcolade chocolate. You can buy this in bulk from Henley Bridge, you can get £5 off using this link

A blender is great for creating cake crumbs but you don’t need one following this method. However, if you don’t have a stand mixer it can be substituted for a blender, a nutribullet type mixer would do the trick. Something like this blender is great too.

Make a cake of your choice. I really recommend the cupcake recipe below. This will give you around 30 cake pops, depending on how big you make the cake pops.

-

How To Make 4 Ingredient Cake Pops

Once the vanilla cake/ s have come out of the oven, leave for 5 minutes but at this point, you are going to put the cake into a bowl or stand mixer and you are going to mix.

Start off with your mixer at a slow speed and gradually increase the speed. Eventually, you will have a dough that can be moulded into cake balls or your desired shape.

To get an even set of cake pops I use weighing scales or a melon ball maker to get the sizes all the same- you are looking at roughly 20-25 grams each.

Red Velvet Cake Balls

With the cake pops cooled you can now either freeze for another day. If you are making on the same day you can add the sticks ready for the next stage.

Use a small amount of chocolate (this