How To Make Dinosaur Egg Cake Pops

My kid wanted a dinosaur birthday party and so I made her these Adorable Dinosaur Egg Cake Balls for a Dinosaur Party that she just absolutely LOVED!

Once the cupcakes are made, it’s super easy to turn them into the eggs–and then to wrap them and put their polkies on.

-

I mean, if you don’t believe me (because they do look almost too amazing, right?), I made this video fo how I made these Adorable Dinosaur Egg Cake Balls for a Dinosaur Party.

Dino Mite! Dinosaur Birthday Party // Hostess With The Mostess®

[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”0NsMxqYv” upload-date=”2019-04-15T15:00:00.000Z” name=”Dinosaur Egg Cake Balls” description=”Simple cake balls made to look like dinosaur eggs. They are made with cupcakes (flour, water, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, baking soda), frosting and marshmallow fondant. I used wax paper to roll out the marshmallow fondant and they are sitting in a bed of Coco-Rice Krispies cereal.”]

Took me about 10 minutes to make that fondant, and dude, it was totally worth it…I mean, LOOK at those edible dinosaur eggs!

Like for real, it’s been a few days since her birthday and she keeps asking for more of these Easter Egg Cake Balls.

How To Make Duggee Planet Cake Pops

Ok. So you love these Adorable Dinosaur Egg Cake Balls for a Dinosaur Party, but you’re low on marshmallows for the fondant?

My parents got creative in the kitchen after they retired. One of the things they made was easy candy strawberries. My kids and I loved ... Read more

My goodness this Instant Pot Cookie Butter Cheesecake Recipe is un-believable! I love cheesecake (as I’m sure you do, too), and I love cookie butter. ... Read more

Dinosaur / Egg Cake Pops

Paper Roll Firecrackers are so much fun to make and beautiful to look at. Celebrating the 4th of July is just fun all around!. I ... Read more

This interesting Tie-Dye Watermelon Wreath is perfect to welcome the coming summer. Watermelons are a very refreshing fruit. They are always served as healthy snacks ... Read moreAfter making Hello Kitty cake pops for my elder daughter’s birthday in July, I knew I had to do something similar for the youngest one when she turned 2!  As she loves Dorothy the Dinosaur, we chose it as a theme for her party.  So, Dorothy the Dinosaur cake pops were the obvious choice!   And they were not too hard to make either.

I had not seen any on the web, so I “designed” them completely by myself.  The hardest part was to figure out a way to make Dorothy’s teeth… but in the end, I decided to use fondant to decorate the cake pops, and I think it was a very good idea as it allowed me to make more precise and realistic shapes for the teeth, the hat and the rose.

Die Einfachsten Cake Pops Von Elijoan| Chefkoch

NOTE: I have used Wilton’s green candy melts for this.  In the past, I have also used Witon’s pink candy melts and both times, I had a hard time working with them.  The candy melts are way too thick!  I have also used CK’s white candy melts before and liked it so much more!  I’ll have to keep experimenting!

Melt it following the instructions on the package (I microwave them as I find it easier).  Also make sure you use a deep enough plastic container to melt the candy so you can dip the candy pops in it.

Robin's

When ready, take all the ovals out of the freezer and put them in the fridge.  Keep only 5 on the benchtop and start working with these.  Take a pop stick and dip it in the candy melt (2 cm).  Insert it in the cake pops no more than halfway through and keep it aside.  Do that for all 5 pops.  Then take the first cake pop and dip it into the candy melt.  Make sure it is fully submerged and that the candy coats the stick.  Then pull it out in one movement and remove the excess coating by tapping the left hand on your right wrist and turning the pop at the same time so that the coating gets evenly distributed.

Dinosaur Cake Ideas

To make the hat, roll out some white fondant into a very thin sheet and cut out a circle.  Attach it on Dorothy’s head (on the thinner side) using a little candy melt.  Shape it with your hands and let it dry on the Styrofoam.

Now take a small piece of red fondant and roll it into a thin strip.  Fold it on itself and then roll it to create a “ribbon rose”.If you’re making them as Easter Egg Cake Balls or for a dinosaur birthday, these Ridiculously Cute Blue Edible Dinosaur Egg Cake Balls are adorbs.

I made them for my daughter’s dinosaur party and she was so excited to be nibbling on a little dinosaur egg–and they tasted freaking amazing, too.

Dinosaur Cake Pops

Now, I’m not saying that I’d make these Ridiculously Cute Blue Edible Dinosaur Egg Cake Balls for every birthday ever–if your kid only likes broccoli and sardines, this is not the right choice for them

You start your Ridiculously Cute Blue Edible Dinosaur Egg Cake Balls by just crumbling up some of your favorite cake or cupcakes in a bowl–I freeze leftover cupcakes that don’t get eaten from earlier batches for this, so there’s some tiny amount of frosting that gets in.

Dorothy

Then, you add a whole can of your favorite frosting (I go with vanilla because I’m plain that way) for every 12 cupcakes you crumbled or 1-8×9 cake.

Dinosaur Cake Pops Dinosaur Eggs Hatching Cake Pops

You’re going to think this is too much frosting, and it might be, but you don’t want your mixture to be crumbly–then the edible dinosaur eggs will just be crumbly and not stay together.

I popped these into the freezer overnight because I was making the final dinosaur eggs in the morning for the party–but you could probably just leave them in the fridge for 2 hours.

And I added some blue food coloring to the majority of the fondant. I did leave a small amount un-dyed to put the polka dots on the outside in white.

Monster Cake Pops

The fondant is super stretchy, so it wrapped all the way around and I could kind of mold it in place if I wanted.

Then, to kind of smooth the exterior, because eggs are smooth, not lumpy, I just rolled each egg in between my hands a few times.

Dinosaur

Literally, I did not take these out of the freezer until I was ready to hand them out on plates, but, I had a few leftover and even when they were left on the counter for a couple of hours, they kept their shape.

Iopqo Kitchen Gadgets Silicone Mold Diy Dinosaur Eggs Chocolate Mold Kitchen Baking Tools Cake Pop Mold

Now, I tossed these on a bed of chocolate rice crispy cereal for the photo, but I’d like to point out that you could make a whole nest of rice crispies.

That’s what I did with all 12 of the edible dinosaur cake balls, but I didn’t get a picture of that because the kiddo was too excited to wait any longer for her cake! LOL!

And, don’t forget, if you love this recipe, be sure to drop a 5-star rating so that we know you want more yummy recipes like this one!

Dino Egg Cake Pops