How To Make Cow Cake Pops

Is there anything cuter than a farm-themed birthday party? What if you add farm animal cake pops? Cake pops are such a fun and easy treat that adds just the right amount of sweetness to your dessert table. I do want to mention right off the bat that to decorate them like farm animals you do need a royal icing recipe or an edible food decorating pen.

In the past I've made both pastel and football cake pops, so I thought I'd be up for making barnyard animals for my son's birthday. Cake pops are really just cake and frosting combined, and put on a stick dipped in chocolate. They're also the perfect size to enjoy as a little taste of dessert if you have a lot of sweets at a party and don't want a full piece of cake.

Farm

I had also made farm animal sugar cookies for the party, and I was able to use my leftover royal icing for the farm animal ears and faces. You could make these with an edible pen or with extra melted white chocolate as well. I found royal icing to be easier to work with for this application, and since I'm comfortable with royal icing this is my preferred method.

Cow Print Cake Pops For A Barn Animal Baby Shower

Royal icing transfers are simply icing designs that you make on parchment paper that you allow to dry. To make the farm animal pigs and cows I made pink and black ears with royal icing, allowed them to dry and then adhered them to the chocolate with additional royal icing acting as glue. You want to give the transfers a few hours to dry so that they don't break apart. I usually peel up the parchment paper so they pop right off to make sure they're ready to go.

To decorate the cake pops I used royal icing to add eyes, a snout for the pig, a beak for the chick and spots for the cow. It took about 10 minutes and added a lot of character to the little creations!

To make the chick you need yellow chocolate, a bit of orange royal icing, and black icing or marker for the eyes. Dip your cake pop in white chocolate melted, then add your yellow food coloring to it. Submerge your cake pop. Once the chocolate has dried use your royal icing to add a little beak, feet and then using your black icing add eyes. Tip- I would make a lot more chicks than cows or pigs... they're a bit simpler and you don't have to add ears!

Cow Cake Pop Mold

The cow needed spots, ears and a smile to be ready for the barnyard bash. I used black royal icing to add the spots and face. I tried white ears, but ended up making additional black royal icing transfers for the ears. A tip for black royal icing- combine whatever colors you have and add as little food coloring as possible. With black a little goes a long ways and it doesn't have to be completely black to appear black.

The pig might be my favorite. To make the pig I started with a pink chocolate cake pop, then added a snout with bright pink royal icing. I used a pink royal icing transfer for the ears. Once it had completely dried I used black royal icing to draw links on the ears and to put two lines on the snout. I also added eyebrows and a smile to make sure it was a cheerful pig.

I usually just roll the combined dough in my hands to form a circle. Placing them in a mini muffin tray can help them keep their shape.I've tried to make cake pops a couple of times and it has always been a disaster - mainly because I can't get the balls to stay on the sticks! I decided it was about time I took a class to learn how to do it properly and for my birthday received a voucher for a lesson at the Make Lounge. I've been there a couple of times before, to do a sewing class and a paper cutting class, and really enjoyed them both.

Decorated Cow Cake Recipe

When I arrived at the Make Lounge and met the friendly tutor Rachel, I saw we had already been provided with cake pops that had already been dipped in white candy melts. (Candy melts are coloured discs you melt for making sweets or dipping cake pops and they come in all sorts of different colours). That did actually make sense, because the cake pops need to go in the freezer or fridge overnight to set, but it was a bit disappointing as it meant I still wasn't going to be able to learn how to make the balls stay on the sticks!

-

Rachel did give me plenty of advice about how to do it correctly, and I think I may have identified where I was going wrong. But I would have liked it if we had been able to make some cake balls ourselves - even if we then had to use the ones Rachel had prepared in class - to see what sort of consistency they were supposed to be. So in the end this class was actually all about decorating cake pops rather than making them, which was a shame, but in retrospect I shouldn't really have expected to make them because they do need to go in the fridge for quite a long time and it was only a two and a half hour class.

We began by decorating a cake pop in a simple style, first dipping it completely in a coloured candy melt and then half dipping it in a bowl of sprinkles.

Cupcake Cake Pops Plus Bride And Groom, Cartoon Characters And Cows Via Etsy

If the candy melts are the right consistency and you dip the cake pop once, you get an even, glossy coating. Here you can see the cake pop being held at an angle to allow the excess to run off.

Next we tried a marbling technique. We dipped the cake pop into one colour - I chose yellow - then took a spoonful of another colour and drizzled it over the top, turning the cake pop as we did so. I ended up with a really nice pattern that reminded me a bit of a Chupa Chups lolly.

Cow

You can also use fondant shapes to decorate your cake pops; just make sure the candy melt coating has dried as otherwise the fondant shapes will slip off. You can either wait until the candy melt coating is still tacky, or if it has completely dried, use a cocktail stick to put a little wet candy melt onto the spot where you want to attach the fondant shape.

Better On A Stick

Rachel had a selection of plunger cutters for us to use; I chose a large and a small star shape. Cut the shapes out of fondant...

My favourite cake pops are the ones that look like animals so I was pleased when Rachel told us we would learn how to make a pig and a sheep. To make the pig, we first dipped the cake pop into a bowl of pink candy melts.

Then I made the nose and ears from pink fondant. It was very easy - just two triangles for the ears which I then shaped and bent slightly, and a small ball for the snout, which I then flattened and used a cocktail stick to make nostrils.

Cow

Ingredients Of A 20something: First Baking Goal Achieved: Souffle, Plus Farmyard Cake Pops, Kansas Day Cake And Potato Chip Cookies

The eyes were a little more tricky as they were so small. I placed a small circle of white fondant onto the face then two even smaller circles of black fondant on top (attaching the latter with a cocktail stick dipped in some more candy melt). It may be easier to use an edible pen if you have one for the eyes. I really like this little pig!

I also had a go at making a tail, by rolling out a thin sausage shape from the pink fondant and curling it around a cocktail stick.

I then slid it off the stick and attached it to the back of the pig with some candy melt. However it started to unroll, and in any case my cake pop was only the pig's head, not the whole body, so it shouldn't really have had a tail coming out the back!

Cute Animal Cake Pops

I really like this red apple and again it was very simple to make. I dipped a cake pop in red candy melt, made a leaf and a stalk from fondant and used the side of a cocktail stick to make the veins on the leaf. The cake pop was finished with a sprinkling of red glitter.

Animal

Can you tell what this one is going to be...? We had one cake pop which was more of an oval shape - because of course they don't have to be perfectly round balls. We dipped it in white candy melt and covered it with tiny white sprinkles. It's meant to look like wool...

For our last cake pop we were allowed to freestyle and decorate it however we wanted, so of course I had to make a cow. (You

Her.bold.events: {holy Cow Cake Pop's} Back Where Cake Comes From