How To Make Star Shaped Cake Pops

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Party.  And smash cake.  And cake pops.  That's what we're going to talk about today.  Fun, fun and more fun!  Haha!

But first.  Do you ever have those days... or weeks... where time starts to all run together and you never can remember what day it is or what you should be doing?

Red

My husband is working long, long hours, 6 days a week.  Then there have been holidays, crazy weather that meant a random day off, several unusual appointments and well...  I wake up every day not knowing what day it is.

Best Christmas Cake Pops

Today was no exception and I woke up just plain confused.  Ugh.  But you know what?  It's okay.   Because the cake and other sweets I'm sharing today make me smile from ear-to-ear no matter what day of the week it is.

Psss..... Have you entered the January cake contest?  The theme is metallics (like the gold on this cake!), so if you have a cake that has a shimmery or shiny or glittery quality, go enter!

Like, seriously.   It's a Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Party.  How happy and fun is that?!   So let me tell you all of the sweet, sweet details...

Best Biscoff Cake Pops

It was 6 and 10 tiers baked in my favorite Magic Line pans.  The top was chocolate cake and the bottom was strawberry cake.   They were both filled and frosted with vanilla buttercream; all decorations were homemade marshmallow fondant.

The colors for this party were corals, pinks, mint and gold.  To tie it all together, I did ombre wavy ruffles on the bottom tier fading from the darker coral at the bottom all the way to pale pink at the top.  Then I did the whole top tier in the light mint color.

I added the gold stars all over plus the gold moon standing on top.   The gold was done with imperial gold dust mixed with lemon extract and then painted on.

Star Cake Pops With Plazma

Next up was this adorable smash cake.  I love doing these little ruffles smash cakes because they're simple and pretty and go with so many girly themes 🙂  For this particular party, I added a few gold stars to tie the smash cake to the big party cake!

-

Oh and I decorated both of the cake boards with gold glitter paper and pale pink ribbons.  You can see my tutorial here for how to decorate boards like this!   And while it's not exactly the same,  there's a tutorial for doing messy ruffles on a cake here (with video!).   You'll just need a #104 Petal Tip and its really easy to do!

Lastly - the Gold Star Cake Pops!  I made cake pop dough (see how here) then I rolled it out flat (instead of rolling into balls) and used a star cutter to cut out the shapes.  Next I chilled them until they were firm and dipped them in yellow candy melts.

Christmas Tree Cake Pops Recipe

Also, my client Amy was kind enough to let me share some pictures from her party!  The decorations were phenomenal and I'm thrilled to show you everything she put together!

I should mention that this party was for sisters Evie Chase and Elise - celebrating their 3rd and 1st birthdays!  And that's all I've got for you on this Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star Party!

Patriotic

Rose Atwater is the founder and cake decorator behind Rose Bakes. She is baker, cake decorator, author, wife to Richy and homeschooling mommy to 6 wonderful kiddos! Her work has been featured in American Cake Decorating Magazine, Cakes Decor, Pretty Witty Cakes Magazine, Huffington Post and Cake Geek Magazine. Learn more here...These Patriotic Star Cake Pops are simple and plain on the outside, but once you bite into one, a red, white, and blue cake filling is revealed. They’re made with red, white, and blue colored vanilla cake and enrobed in bright white candy coating. These easy to make Patriotic Star Cake Pops add a festive touch to your 4th of July celebration.

Fall Dessert Pumpkin Spice Cake Pops

For the longest time, I had a love/hate relationship with cake pops. Cake pops are some of the absolute cutest creations. Like decorated sugar cookies, cake pops are an intersection of baking and crafting, and that is right up my alley. But my real motivation to keep trying my hand at cake pops was that my picky kids actually love cake pops. If you read The Crafting Foodie, you know that they reject almost all sweets, and I give away just about 99% of everything I make. Sugar cookies and cake pops are the exception. This past fall, I finally jumped into the cake pop world with these Chocolate Cupcakes Topped with Football Cake Pops, and while they are far from perfect, I was relatively satisfied with how they turned out.

So, for holidays, like 4th of July, when we entertain for large groups of adults and children, I try to make something a little more whimsical that everyone enjoys. This year I’ll be making these Patriotic Star Cake Pops. Like all cake pops, there are a few steps that you have to follow, but honestly, it’s very straight forward. Best of all, these can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve.

The first step is to make the cake batter. You can use the recipe below or you can use a boxed cake mix. If you choose the boxed cake mix, make sure you choose a white cake mix. Once the batter is made, I divided it equally between three bowls. I tinted one bowl red, one blue, and the last one was left white. I baked these cakes in a standard cupcake tin. It made 12 cupcakes – 4 red, 4 blue, and 4 white.

Cake

Details 82+ Star Shaped Cake Latest

Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, I crumbled each color cupcake in its own bowl. I used my fingers to crumble them into fine crumbs. Once they were completely crumbled, I added just about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of frosting. Since it’s such a small amount of frosting, I used store-bought vanilla frosting. The goal here is to get the crumb mixture to a playdough-like consistency. When I first tried making cake pops, I put way too much frosting into the cake mix thinking it would help hold the cake pops together, and boy, was I wrong! Too much frosting actually makes them oily, and when coating the cake pops, you can run into a lot of problems.

After making the cake pop “dough”, I refrigerated it for about 20 minutes. Once chilled, I pinched off a bit of each color. Rolled the three colors into a walnut-sized ball. Then I flattened the ball just a bit. Using a mini-star cutter (about 1 1/2-inches) a pushed the cake pop through the cutter, creating a star shaped cake pop. Then I refrigerated the cake pops for an hour.

Once thoroughly chilled, I melted bright white candy coating with a bit of shortening. I let the candy coating cool for about 3 to 4 minutes before dipping. Using a toothpick, I dipped each start cake pop into the coating, and placed it on a parchment lined baking sheet to set. I worked with one cake pop at a time, leaving the rest in the refrigerator to stay cold prior to dipping.

Pc Silicone Cake Pop Maker Mould Baking Ball Love Heart Star Cupcake Shapes

Once all of the Patriotic Star Cake Pops were dipped, I placed the tray in the fridge to cool. While they were cooling, I melted a bit or red and blue candy coating in separate zip-top bags. I snipped the corner of each bag, and drizzled the candy coating on the set cake pops. And there you have it. Some of the easiest and festive Patriotic Star Cake Pops that are perfect for the 4th of July or any other patriotic holiday!

-

My 3 year old ate three Patriotic Star Cake Pops after dinner. That’s a lot of sugar for her little body, but I let her indulge. After all, I’m usually begging my kids to at least try a little of what I bake, but their picky little pallets often reject my offer. So, if it’s cake pops they like, then it’s cake pops I’ll make 🙂One of my very good friends had a daughter who just turned 3, and her birthday party was on Saturday.  It was a Dora theme, and I was asked if I would be able to make some Dora the Explorer cake pops.  I never have before, but I thought that I could try.  I was also really excited to try out some shaped ones (I tried maple leaves for Canada Day last year, and they were an epic fail… the cookie cutter was too large.  Will try again this year…).  Here’s how they turned out:

Step 1: form your cake balls.  Dora’s head is not round, so make a ball, and then squash it a little to make it egg-shaped.  The stars were made by using a small cookie cutter, and they are probably as thick as what the cutter was.  From here on out, I focused on the stars.  Dora was made using peanut butter candy melts,

How To Make Cake Pops The Easiest Way Ever