How To Make Balloon Cake Pops

I’ve made a bunch of cake pops over the years. I like to challenge myself and see just how much I can make a tiny ball of candy covered cake look like something else and I usually skip over more simple ideas because I can visualize how I think they might turn out.

It’s the harder ones that excite me the most because I never really know if I can pull it off until that last detail is added and I set it down in a cake pop stand. I like the challenge of the unknown. But this weekend I went for a design that was made for cake pops.

I hand roll the cake and frosting into balls before I shape to make sure I use even amounts for each pop. Then after they are rolled, I shape them by hand.

Recipe For Basic Cake Pops

Just lay a sheet on the counter and take a rolled cake ball and slide it against the surface. (You can also start the shape by hand first to make it go a little quicker.) The crumbled cake mixed with frosting will easily form a flattened bottom. Then you can rotate the shape, slide again and create a sharp edge. Or you can rock it back and forth for a rounded edge. For cones, you can roll the shape at an angle so it forms a point and then slide the wider end on the wax paper for a flattened bottom.

After you dip the balloon shapes and let them dry, you can use a toothpick dipped in coating to draw a tie around the lollipop stick. It’s the only detail you need to add to sell them as balloons.

For the pennants, use a toothpick to draw an outline on the front facing triangle and then sprinkle sanding sugar on top to decorate.

There's Always Room For Cake And Ice Cream

Then you can use a toothpick dipped in another color to draw on “YAY”. If it helps, you can etch the word on the candy surface first to use as a guide.

It just needs a few little dimples which I could drake by pressing into the dough with the end of a lollipop stick for texture. And then I just need to make a mouse to go with it. That’s how my brain works.

For the party hats, I attached a sixlet on top with melted candy coating and when dry covered it with more candy coating and sprinkled with sanding sugar to get a nice round shape at the pointed top. The base of the hats were heavily dotted with melted candy coating and then covered in sanding sugar, too.

Forever Sweet Bakery