Can You Make Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Chips

I know the name death by chocolate cake seems a bit aggressive, but what it really means is you’ll be drowning in chocolatey goodness as soon as you take a bite!

It’s made with moist chocolate cake layers, frosted with decadent dark chocolate buttercream and coated with mini chocolate chips. This cake is truly a chocolate lover’s dream.

Death

To make sure your death by chocolate cake turns out as amazing as possible, let’s walk through each step together! I’ve also included a video tutorial of the process below.

Double Chocolate Chip Snack Cake

The chocolate simple syrup is optional, but it makes the cake layers super moist!! I think it really takes this cake to the next level, and don’t recommend skipping it.

Next make the chocolate cake batter. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans, and bake for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.

Remove the cake layers from the oven and let them cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Gently run an offset spatula around the rim of the cake pans to loosen them, then flip them into wire racks to finish cooling.

The Ultimate Cookie Layer Cake

Once the cake layers have cooled to room temperature, use a serrated knife to level the top of each cake layer. If you’re making these in advance, you can wrap and freeze them at this point.

While the cake layers bake and cool, make the chocolate buttercream. This frosting can also be made in advance if needed and kept in the fridge for up to a month!

Stack and frost cake layers on agreaseproof cake board, using a dab of chocolate buttercream to help stick the first cake layer to the board.

Chocolate Bundt Cake

Before you add each cake layer, use a silicone brush to soak the top of the cake layer with chocolate simple syrup.

Add a thick layer of chocolate buttercream around the cake and smooth it using abench scraper. This is a very forgiving cake design, so don’t worry if the frosting isn’t perfectly smooth!

Decorated the top of the cake with buttercream dollops using any leftover frosting and your favorite frosting tip. I used a Wilton 1M to make my swirls.

Chocolate Chip Cake With Buttercream

While I love this death by chocolate cake just the way it is, I know some of you might not have all of these ingredients on hand.

If you try this death by chocolate cake recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Please leave a rating and comment below.

One batch of batter is about 1500g or 8 cups, so I add roughly 500g to each of my cake pans when using 3, 8-inch cake pans, or 375g to my cake pans when using 4, 7-inch cake pans.

Chocolate Mousse Cake

You can also use one batch of batter to make 2, 9-inch cake layers or 4, 6-inch cake layers. Bake time will be a few minutes longer at 350 F / 175 C.

If you want to make a tiered cake with this recipe, check out my cake batter calculator to see how many batches of batter you'll need.

I highly recommend making the components of this cake in stages. It breaks the process up and makes it so much more approachable!

-

The Best Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe

The cake layers can be made in advance and frozen. They taste just as great when they're frozen as when they're fresh, I promise!

You can make the frosting ahead of time or save any leftover frosting! It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month or the freezer for 3 months.

A frosted cake can last in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for a month. The buttercream locks in the moisture and keeps the cake fresh and delicious!

Double Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

If you cut into the cake and have leftovers, use any remaining frosting to cover the cut section to keep it moist and store in the fridge for up to a week.

I hope you can help ! I'm making a 3 layer 9'' cakes for a friends BD Will this be enough frosting??

It depends on how you plan to decorate it, but I'd definitely recommend making at least 1.5 batches of the frosting, if not 2 batches for a cake that size. Hope that helps, happy baking!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake

Oh my goodness, this cake turned out wonderful!!! So rich, decadent, and moist!!! This was my first time making a chocolate cake and it did not disappoint, the only substitution I did was using yogurt instead of sour cream. Will definitely keep this recipe in the books haha.

[…] into the second section, we encounter the opulent allure of decadent chocolate cake. Here, the narrative takes a dramatic turn as deep, intense flavors intertwine. A contrast emerges […]

-

[…] buds and lingers, leaving you craving for more. The contrast between the creamy ice cream and the decadent chocolate layers creates an experience that’s truly […]I made this for my wife. It was her birthday and she wanted a chocolate cake. SO glad I found this recipe! It worked wonderfully! 👌🏼

High Altitude Chocolate Truffle Cake

This weekend I was gifted with a super-fun birthday surprise: Bjork whisked me away to Austin for a weekend of TACOS! And other things. But honestly, mostly tacos.

We packed in about twenty minutes – and by packed, I mean we ripped into my box of summer clothes that was still sealed up tight in the basement, washed, unwashed, wrinkled, ill-fitting, out-of-date, you know how it is, and tossed everything into a bag. And one 15-minute Lyft ride later, we were checked in at the airport, preparing to hopa flight to Texas.

This has been a hard season of life for us, and this birthday is a strange one for me. Okay, strange is a totaleuphemism. It’s sad. It’s lonely. It’s hard to feel like Happy Birthday when the birthday slash entire life I imagined was supposed to be so different.

Chocolate Chip Cake With Classic Chocolate Buttercream Recipe

As the only one in our house who bakes, I am usually the maker of my own birthday cake. And this year, I went ALL OUT. I showed my birthday who was boss.

No store boughts, no box mixes, not this year. I went with real, amazing, homemade Blackout Chocolate Cake, emphasis on the blackout. I’m coping, okay? I’m coping.

We’re talking about life-changing cake, with whole milk yogurt for moisture and espresso powder for depth, cream cheese chocolate frosting (CHALLENGE ME, I DARE YOU) for the layers, and a chocolate chip exterior that gets pressed into the frosted cake by way of a little regular-people-make-fancy-cakes hack involving cardboard. No, I’m serious. CARDBOARD. We take our cake-ing very seriously, aka not very seriously at all.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

And sharing this blackout chocolate cake with friends really, really, really helps. Chocolate blackouts are better when shared. S/o to our POY team for eating this with meone million times and to Melissa for letting me crash her own bday celebration super spontaneously with this madness.

Double

This is the cake for chocolate lovers! Ultramoist chocolate cake, layers of cream cheese chocolate frosting, and an awesome chocolate chip + chocolate drizzle exterior. Recipe based off of this solid Chocolate Blackout Cake from Life Made Simple.

I like to melt a little extra chocolate and drizzle it over the top. WHY THE HECK NOT, this is chocolate blackout cake!

Best Fudgy Chocolate Cake

This cake can be served chilled or at room temperature, but it’s easier to cut at room temperature or before the chocolate drizzle sets.

I’m Lindsay and I ♡ FOOD. I used to be a teacher, and now making food and writing about it online is my full-time job. I love talking with people about food, and I'm so glad you're here.

I'm a former 4th grade teacher, now full time blogger. My husband Bjork and I live in Minnesota. Favorite things include my camera, lake days, and dark chocolate.

How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

The eBook includes our most popular 25 recipes in a beautiful, easy to download format. Enter your email and we'll send it right over!Hello! Welcome back to my refreshing-old-posts-so-I-don’t-cringe-looking-at-them-now series. Did you see these brownies? Today, the most classic, most basic (but in no way boring) chocolate cake, studded with tons of chocolate chips. It is RIDONKULOUSLY moist, super soft and impossible to stop eating. You’re welcome!

Originally, this was a chocolate pound cake from the cookbook Homemade Decadence by Joy Wilson. It isn’t actually a traditional pound cake because it’s a got a few additional everyday ingredients, but as far as cakes go, they don’t get more classic than this one. So call it what you like, I’m thinking of REALLY BONKERS GOOD CHOCOLATE CAKE as the official name.

This time, I simplified it a bit using all-purpose flour instead of cake flour, and yoghurt instead of buttermilk because it’s what I had on hand, and knocked off a couple of unnecessary steps. This basically gives you more reasons to make it every day. I baked it in a 9″ tin instead of 8″ like last time and the surface was a lot more even, with more manageable sized slices. The batter is quick and fuss-free and takes a bit of mixing but nothing you can’t handle.

Double

Easy Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe (with Video)

Dutch-process cocoa is recommended here for the most intense chocolate flavour. It gets mixed up with a little bit of