Can You Make Cake Pops With Muffin Mix

Some friends made cake pops once, where they scooped out pieces of a baked cake, and smushed and rolled them into balls with their hands.  This idea is not one I find appealing.

Plus, I think cake pops are a super cute party treat for little kids, but I don’t have any little kids.  My kids are all big and

Triple

All that changed when I found myself in possession of a brand new cake pop maker, courtesy of an awesome friend who has known me since the dawn of time.  I did a little research, and realized that these are really close in size to a mini-muffin… which means they’re not just for cake and you’re certainly not required to put them on a stick.

How To Make Blueberry Muffin Cake Pops (with Pictures)

I have made these muffins before, but had completely forgotten about them, until I went rummaging through my recipe file, looking for something else.  This one was right near the top, staring at me.  Begging me to pay attention to it.  Daring me to bring it to life.

If you are not in possession of a cake pop maker, don’t despair.  This recipe will work as mini-muffins, or as regular muffins for that matter.

The real problem with cute foods is that the value of their cuteness completely disappears in the presence of teenage boys.  It’s really unfortunate.  On the other hand, the rate at which the boys devour these might just make up for it.  My poor hardworking husband spent his day doing manual labor, and didn’t even have any muffin bites to come home to.

Frozen Cake Pops To Celebrate Frozen 2

Just because I’m your friend and stuff, I’ll make you a list of reasons to make these: Breakfast; After school snack; Late night movie party; Sack lunches; Finger food for guests; Just because you feel like it.

In other words, I’ve listed this as a breakfast food, because technically it’s a muffin, but you should find some other ways to use it.  This will not be a difficult task at all.  Just make sure you save a couple for yourself before you put a basket full of them in front of a gaggle of teenage boys.

If you do not have a cake pop maker, you can bake these as muffins. Cook regular muffins for 15-17 minutes at 400 degrees, or mini muffins 12-15 minutes at 375 degrees.

Two Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Muffins

This post linked up at: Between Naps on the Porch; Skip to my Lou; Hope Studios; Mandy’s Recipe Box; Sugar Bee Crafts; Lady Behind the Curtain; Back For Seconds; Mandatory Mooch; Something Swanky; Katherine’s Corner; Miz Helen’s Country Cottage; Rattlebridge Farm; My Romantic Home; The Shabby Nest;So I was at Goodwill the other day looking for more pretty teacups for my mismatched tea set when I saw this: a Babycakes Cake Pop Maker for just $4.99. While I have absolutely no need for yet another small kitchen appliance (and no room), I picked it up anyway. I just can’t resist the idea of making adorable little spheres of food! Plus (I rationalized to myself), my daughter will think they’re awesome.

How

While I’m fully capable of making my own blueberry muffin batter from scratch, the fact remains that fresh blueberries are not only relatively expensive, but also pretty big compared to these 1.5″ balls. I didn’t feel like having to buy fresh blueberries just for an experiment, plus I didn’t want the muffin balls to fall apart from the juiciness of the berries. So I bought two different kinds of blueberry muffin mix and set to work.

The first mix was Pillsbury, which supposedly makes 6 full-sized muffins, and is chock-full of “artificial blueberry bits.” That’s right, no real blueberries were harmed in the making of these muffins. I was a bit concerned over this, but figured it was worth a try anyway. This mix had the benefit of only needing to add milk– no eggs or oil. I stirred up the batter, which was nice and thick, and used my mini ice cream scoop (a level scoop is 1.5 tsp) to portion it out into the wells of the cake pop maker after spraying them with cooking spray. A heaping scoopful was just enough to fill the well comfortably– probably about 2 tsp of batter.

How To Make Blueberry Muffin Cake Pops

I will note that for this first trial I followed some of the advice online and did not heat up the cake pop maker before putting the batter in. Apparently the pops cook more evenly that way, since it does take some time to portion things out. Once I closed the top I plugged the device in and sat down to wait. After about 4 minutes, I opened the top and here’s what I had:

They looked perfect, really. Nice and brown and the batter had risen enough to make a nice ball shape. They stuck a little to the pan, but some careful prodding with a fork made things easier. I removed them to a cooling rack and, perhaps foolishly, immediately put in more batter without turning off the device or spraying it again.

How

The next batch didn’t fare so well. I think I opened the lid a little too soon, and the not-quite-done insides weren’t sturdy enough to keep the halves of the balls together. I closed it again and let them cook a little longer, but the end result was a batch of slightly mangled pops that stuck severely and had overflowed their wells. I decided to make sure I used cooking spray each and every time for muffins (oddly, my mini donut maker only needs an initial spray to let the donuts slip out easily every time).

Chocolate Cake Pops

As for flavor, the Pillsbury mix is actually pretty good. A bit too sweet, of course, but that’s to be expected. Surprisingly, the artificial blueberry bits tasted a lot like blueberries, with even a hint of tartness to them. I’d rate these blueberry balls at 4/5 stars.

Emboldened by my success, I turned to my next box of mix– Jiffy. Significantly cheaper than the Pillsbury (less than half the price), it also lacks real blueberries, but instead of just milk it requires an extra egg to finish the batter. Despite allegedly making 5-8 muffins in comparison to Pillsbury’s 6, it made only 16 pops compared to Pillsbury’s 20. Unlike the first mix the Jiffy batter stuck to the pan if I put the batter into the unheated wells, and released just fine for the heated wells. I’m not sure what the difference is here, but I think for future tries I’ll preheat,  spray things really well, and hope for the best.

The texture on the Jiffy muffins was nice– slightly denser than the previous version, with a well-browned outside– but the flavor was much more artificial. I’d give these 3/5 stars.

Blueberry

Breakfast Blend With Blueberry Muffin Cake Pops

As all muffins tend to do, both versions of these blueberry balls failed maintain their nicely crisp outsides for long– the ones that I left uncovered got stale, and the ones that I put in a plastic bag got soft. But my 3-year-old thinks they’re great, and they’re still adorable (which is what I was going for). Overall, I’d call this experiment a success!

1. The machine has a little spring-loaded latch in the front that keeps the lid down during cooking. However, it gets really hot as the machine does, so trying to unlatch it was difficult when it was time to remove the pops. I was actually happy when my latch broke entirely (which can’t really be blamed on the product, I did get it secondhand) and the lid just lay flat without any closure. Much easier to use now.

2. I’ve read that to use cake mix in this machine you should do all you can to make the batter thicker– many people recommend reducing the liquid by a few tablespoons or adding extra flour or pudding mix. I didn’t have any issue at all with these muffin mixes– perhaps because muffin batter is usually pretty thick. Honestly, I think what you’re looking for is a batter thick enough to mound over the top of the well so it’ll expand to a full sphere. If you can only fill it level it may not get high enough.

Blueberry Protein Kodiak Cakes Muffins

3. For what it’s worth, after I finished the blueberry experiment I made some banana muffin batter from scratch and it worked just as well in the cake pop maker (and tasted much better). Just be sure to spray your machine between each batch so the finished pops release easily.

-

Tagsaccessories almonds Baking ballgown birthday bodice bread breakfast brown sugar brunch butter cake candy caramel cheese chocolate cinnamon cocoa Cookies cosplay Costume costumes cotton cream cream cheese crust cupcakes cute food dessert Desserts dinner disney diy dress Edwardian eggs ellen terry embroidery fabric frosting ganache glaze gown Halloween Harry Potter hat historical ice cream jam Jane Austen kids lace lemon millinery My Fair Lady orange paint pastry pie princess pudding Recipes Regency ribbon satin sewing skirt smitten kitchen snacks sugar truly victorian vanilla velvet Victorian yeastHow to make cake pops with cake mix in this step-by-step guide. With a few ingredients perfect for birthday parties or a fast sweet treat. One of many boxed cake