How To Make Golden Snitch Cake Pops

As mentioned before, I love making party food fit into any theme. The theme can be as simple as a colour or a shape or as elaborate as the entire Harry Potter book collection with 2000+ pages filled with spells, magic and the many MANY new words and meanings that quickly became part of our English language. There are literally hundreds of themed foods that can be done with a theme like this including Honeydukes Sweetshop in Hogsmeade, polyjuice potion and lots more. I haven’t seen these Golden Snitch Cake Pops around before so we were really excited to come up with something new too. These cake pops fit so well into any potter party, and they are beautiful, a little different and so so yummy (not to forget the most important part of it!)

Cake: After layering a cake and shaping it, I usually use the cut offs for the cake balls. If you don’t have a cake handy, any store-bought muffin (without the icing) or cake will also work. Just make sure it’s fresh and tasty as these Golden Snitches should be pretty to look at -but also tasty when eaten at the party.

Golden

Ganache: I make my own chocolate ganache by heating up 250ml of cream until it nearly boils. Then take it off the heat and add 300g of dark chocolate to it. Stir well and your ganache is ready. You can also use store-bought chocolate sauce. You just need a little to bind the cake together and keep it firm in a ball.

Harry Potter Golden Snitch Cake Pops — Skazka Cakes

Lollipop sticks or paper straws: I usually use paper straws (and have done here too) as they are easy to work with, long enough for kids to hold and better for the environment. Lollipop sticks will work too though if you have them handy.

White chocolate: Use any brand that you would usually use. I have used the Morde brand but any brand that will melt well will do.

Yellow gel colour: The yellow colour will make it easier to colour the chocolate gold later. I love the magic gel colours. The colours are vibrant and you never need more than a few drops to get the colour you want. They also have gel colours especially designed to add to chocolate which is amazing as sometimes the chocolate will become stiff and un-usable after adding the food colour. It has happened once or twice to me too and it’s really quite annoying to see all that lovely chocolate go to waste.

Wizardly Sport Cake Pops

Golden snitch wings: I printed the wings on a piece of 300gsm paper and cut them out. You can also just cut white craft paper into the shape of the wing. Make sure you leave a little extra paper at the end to push the wing into the cake pop. You can download the file to print here: Golden Snitch Cake Pop Wings.

Gold dust and brush: Use any gold dust for cake making. I have used this Magic Lustre Dust for some of the balls and this Sugarin Lustre Dust for the rest. You can see the difference between the colours in the photo of the three golden snitches on top. The one to the far right is darker because I used the Sugarin brand for that one.

As you know, I always encourage the kids to help out in the kitchen, but in my experience it’s not so easy for them to make these cake pops -maybe because the white chocolate is a little harder to work with than dark chocolate. My daughters all came to help but they were finding the dipping-and-twirling-while-tapping-the-wrist-action a bit challenging and their cake pops didn’t become fully round (not that I succeed on every try either, mind you) In the end they helped me colour all the chocolate with the gold dust. It was exactly the help I needed to finish 30 of these 🙂

We're Having A Little Harry Potter Party After Work Today So I Made These Golden Snitch Cake Pops

Roll the cake mix into small balls. If you want to make sure they are all the same size, use a tablespoon measurer. Each ball should be 2 leveled tablespoons.

Melt the white chocolate on defrost setting in the microwave for a few minutes until fully runny and smooth. Stir it well to temper the chocolate.

Add a few drops of yellow gel food colour to the white chocolate and stir it well. The yellow colour will make it easier to paint the cake pop gold later.

-

The Best Harry Potter Cake Ideas For Home Bakers

Cover the cake pop in chocolate by swirling it in the chocolate. Let it rest on the edge of the bowl while you gently tap you wrist and twist the cake pop to remove all excess chocolate and get a smooth, round finish.

When the chocolate has fully set, cover the chocolate with edible gold dust. Store the cake pops in an airtight tupperware until the day of the party.Calling all Harry Potter Fans! Learn how to make awesome pops with this Golden Snitch Cake Pop Tutorial. Hogwarts isn’t complete without it!

I am a huge Harry Potter fan! I’ve read all the books and I have no problem watching the movies over and over again. I wish my kid enjoyed it as much, but right now, she has no interest in the books or the movie and getting her to Diagon Alley at Universal Studios is out of the question at this time. I’ve always made cake pops that she is interested in and enjoys, but this time I made something fun for ME! I decided to make this Golden Snitch Cake Pop Tutorial because I saw a BuzzFeed video making them and I was horrified. I watched the video and almost cried. Seriously.

Golden Snitch Harry Potter Themed Cake Pops

Here’s how I made these Golden Snitch Cake Pops using Wilton Candy Melts, Wilton Gold Sugar Sheets, Color Mist, and some pearl dust. They are not hard to make and they look so prettier than the ones that BuzzFeed made.

First off – start with just 1/4 of a 9×13 cake and about 2 tablespoons of frosting. I say this because if your cake is really moist or if you add too much frosting, you have more cake you can add to get the consistency to that of play-doh.

-

Second – I love to use my mixer to blend the cake and frosting. I’ve also used a food processor and even a hand mixer. I find that when using my hands the cake pop dough, it doesn’t get as smooth. It’s a bit lumpy and results in cracks. (Did you notice those cracks in the video -ugh!)

Kitchen Bitchin And Turbulent Mixin: Butterbeer Cupcakes And Golden Snitch Cake Pops

Third – Always dip the cake pops in a deep mug that you can go straight down, covering the entire dough ball. Do not twist the cake pop in the candy melts! Twisting in the candy melts is the best way to loosen the pop from the stick and you’ll end up with a broken pop. Trust me – straight down, completely cover, then straight up again. Gently tap off the excess by tapping on the stick, don’t bang it on the side of the mug. Again, chances of the pop separating from the stick are higher if you bang it.

Fourth – While I give them credit for using fun feathers, I don’t like that they were dyed and then poked into the wet dough. Yes, the kids will pull them out before eating them, but my concern is the coloring leaching into the dough. I chose to use edible Sugar Sheets from Wilton.

I made a template and carefully cut out the wings. Then I cut the fringe. I used a combo of 12 oz of yellow candy melts and 3 oz of bright white candy melts for my pops and uses a bit of melted candy to attach toothpicks to the wings. Be sure to make a left and right wing.

Golden Snitch Birthday Cake

I wanted to make a few different designs so you can make the pop based on you skill. The first one is just the pop dipped into the lightened yellow and then the wings added. That’s it! So simple!

-

The next one, I tried to give the basic pop more of a gold look by spraying it with some of Wilton’s Color Mist. Be careful spraying the pops because it will bead up and could leave streaks. Once the color mist is dry, poke in the toothpick wings. That’s pretty simple too.

For the third pop, I added some details to the snitch. There were some markings on the snitch, so I looked up some google images and piped on some details. When the design was dry, I used the Wilton Pearl Dust to add some shimmer. Just use a dry brush to bush on the dust. It just added a little extra shimmer to the pop. You’ve got this right?

Edible Golden Snitches

Finally, I wanted a truly Golden Snitch and that required disco dust. Add your details to the basic pop, then paint or dab on some vanilla extract to 1/4 of the pop. Then add some disco dust to the wet area and keep brushing the gold on. The flakes will brush off leaving the gold coloring behind. Continue to